Comprehensive mental health care in Largo, Florida
Becoming the healthiest version of yourself includes care of your mental and emotional well-being as much as your physical health.
The Behavioral Health Services at Largo Medical Center's Indian Rocks Road campus is committed to providing exceptional and compassionate care. We offer support and an array of treatment options to help you improve your mental health.
Mental health conditions we treat
We specialize in treating a variety of mental health issues, including:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Bipolar disorder
- Thoughts of self-injury or suicide
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Life stress or trauma
- Relationship difficulties
Our behavioral health services
All of our behavioral health units provide quality care through a combination of services.
We offer both inpatient and outpatient programs, various therapies, treatment planning and medication management—all structured and designed as a custom form of treatment to meet each individual's specific needs. As you plan to leave our facility and programs, we also provide post-treatment services, such as individualized discharge planning and post-discharge wellness checks.
We assess your mental health at critical milestones using evidence-based tools to ensure your safety.
Our interdisciplinary team includes:
- Board-certified psychiatrists
- Registered nurses
- Social workers
- Mental health counselors
- Mental health technicians
- Recreational therapists
- Music therapists
- Discharge planners
Our inpatient and outpatient behavioral health programs include:
- The Center for Behavioral Medicine: A 33-bed inpatient unit for adults in need of both involuntary and voluntary stabilization
- The Retreat: A 14-bed unit for adults on a voluntary status
- Psychiatric Emergency Room (ER): Four private rooms within the ER setting for people in a behavioral health crisis
- The Geriatric Unit: A 24-bed inpatient unit for older adults on voluntary and involuntary statuses
- Medical Behavioral Unit (MBU): A six-bed medical inpatient environment with behavioral health overlay
- Access and Response Center (ARC): Our 24-hour access line with access to HCA Behavioral Services within the Tampa Bay Area
- Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP): Outpatient group that meets three times per week to help adults in need of intensive support to maintain stability with behavioral health symptoms
- Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP): Outpatient group that provides more structure by meeting five times a week to help adults maintain stability with behavioral health symptoms
Inpatient Programs at Largo Medical Center
We offer a full spectrum of inpatient programs and services to treat behavioral, mental and psychiatric issues and conditions. We customize these programs to meet your specific needs.
Our interdisciplinary team strongly encourages families to participate in all levels of treatment. Familial participation supports positive personal growth and education for their loved one.
Inpatient behavioral health care at our Indian Rocks Road campus includes:
- Comprehensive psychosocial assessment
- 24-hour behavioral health monitoring and supervision
- Medication stabilization and education
- Individualized treatment planning
- Multidisciplinary treatment team
- Crisis support
- Group therapy
- Family sessions
- Educational groups
- Recreational therapy
- Stress management
- Discharge planning
- Family education and support
- Referral to community resources
- Electroconvulsive therapy (also provided on an outpatient basis)
If you or someone you know may benefit from our behavioral health inpatient services or if you have questions, please contact our Access Center at (844) 423-4283.
Our General Adult Psychiatry Unit
Our 33-bed inpatient general adult psychiatry unit is designed to help reduce the symptoms that caused your current crisis. Our focus is on helping you cope with daily stressors, improve your emotion well-being and develop a healthy lifestyles so you can alleviate future mental health crises.
The features of this program include:
- Voluntary or involuntary admission
- Integrated, structured therapeutic setting
- Treatment of an exacerbation of symptoms of a mental illness or co-occurring disorder
This 14-bed unit provides treatment for those in need of acute psychiatric care. As part of a patient's individualized treatment plan, they will be assigned to a private room for personal comfort, and clinical care is provided in the least restrictive and intensive setting necessary.
Additionally, we offer cognitive behavioral therapy at The Retreat to help you more easily cope by reprogramming your thoughts and framing your issues and challenges in healthier ways.
At The Retreat, our goal is to help you develop necessary coping skills to manage the stressors and symptoms of your mental health disorder. We will work with you to ensure a successful transition back into the community with the appropriate services to alleviate future mental health crises.
Our Senior Care Unit
This 24-bed unit provides care to our senior population, ages 55+. The staff members on this unit are certified and provide sensory-oriented treatment and additional assistance with activities of daily living.
The Crisis Unit at Largo Medical Center - Indian Rocks provides immediate, safe intervention and short-term crisis management for adults experiencing a psychiatric emergency.
This four-bed psychiatric ER unit operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and we provide immediate mental health support We have a psychiatrist available at all times for consultation.
Our support is safe, confidential, non-judgmental and respectful.
Our Crisis Unit offers:
- Face-to-face evaluation
- Crisis intervention and stabilization
- Psychiatric evaluation and assessment
- Psychiatric disposition and referral
Our Medical Behavioral Unit
This 6-bed medical unit provides care for patients with a primary medical diagnosis, with a secondary psychiatric. Psychiatric consult is necessary for admission, and all nurses on this unit are telemetry certified.
Our outpatient behavioral health programs
Our outpatient behavioral health programs, which falls under our Transitions umbrella, consist of intensive outpatient and partial hospitalization therapy programs.
If you or someone you know may benefit from our outpatient behavioral health services or if you have questions, please contact our Transitions staff today at (727) 588-5261.
Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)
In this outpatient program, you are provided a safe, therapeutic environment while working with staff to encourage and promote recovery.
This program can serve as an initial point of care, a step up from routine outpatient services or a step down from an inpatient stay or residential care.
Group therapy is offered and focuses on coping skills, assertiveness skills, goal-setting and co-occurring disorders. In this program, you will receive three hours of treatment daily for three days a week and are seen by a psychiatrist.
Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
Group members participate in four groups each day with an emphasis on mental health and coping. The groups focus on a variety of subjects designed to foster understanding and management of symptoms in a more effective manner.
Individuals receive ongoing monitoring and treatment from a psychiatrist, registered nurse and licensed therapist. Lunch is provided during the program, along with some light snacks and coffee.
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a safe, efficient and effective way to relieve symptoms of depression and other psychiatric illnesses. ECT is a far more effective treatment compared to antidepressant medication and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS).
We are pleased to provide this cutting-edge, life-saving treatment to those in need. ECT is performed on an outpatient and inpatient basis. Pre-ECT preparation takes approximately 30 minutes and post-ECT observation may take 30 minutes to an hour. The ECT treatment itself takes about 10 minutes.
You can notice improvement within one to two treatments. You would typically have ECT sessions three times per week. The total number of individual treatments average around 12.
Although ECT is extremely safe, you must be medically screened and cleared before receiving ECT treatment. This procedure is a recommended treatment option for you if you:
- Have or experience depression, bipolar disorders (including mania, schizoaffective disorder, schizophrenia and catatonia)
- Have had multiple psychiatric hospitalizations and have the potential to regress rapidly
- Are in need of a definitive and rapid treatment method
Addiction recovery and substance abuse therapy
We offer detox treatment and rehabilitation therapies at our sister hospital in Hillsborough County, Tampa Community Hospital— a campus of Memorial Hospital of Tampa.
This intensive outpatient program specializes in addiction recovery and therapy for substance abuse.