Inpatient Palliative Care Services
Improving the Lives of patients and families facing serious illness
What is palliative care?
Palliative care focuses on relieving the pain, symptoms and stress of serious illness.
Who benefits from palliative care?
- Those experiencing serious illnesses or health problems affecting their quality of life or causing significant discomfort
- Those with questions about their treatment plans or in need of additional support
How can the palliative care team help you?
Your palliative care team is comprised of board-certified physicians and licensed counselors with chaplain services available as requested.
- Treat pain and symptoms such as fatigue,nausea, anxiety and depression
- Help you maintain the most comfortable, independent and active lifestyle possible
- Coordinate care and treatment with your doctors and care team
- Provide guidance, emotional and spiritual support to you and your family when you're facing difficult medical decisions
- Identify support services to help you
What can I expect from palliative care?
- Better understanding of your health condition and medical choices
- Symptom management such as; pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, loss of appetite and difficulty sleeping
- Improved ability to carry on with your life
- Improved tolerance of medical treatments
When is the right time for palliative care?
Palliative care is best introduced early, alongside curative treatment and helps during all stages of serious illness.
Is palliative care the same as hospice care?
No. Palliative care is appropriate for all stages of serious illness and you may receive palliative care for many years while hospice care is meant specifically for those approaching the last stages of life.
How can I receive palliative care?
Ask your attending physician at any time during your hospital stay to order a palliative care consult.
For more information about palliative care services, call Largo Medical Center & Empath Health's Palliative Care Consultation Services at (888) 741-5115.
Largo Medical Center & Empath Health's
Palliative Care Services are available at:
Largo Medical Center
201 14th St SW
Largo, FL 33770
About Empath Health
As a nonprofit, integrated network of care, Empath Health supports anyone facing chronic or advanced illness. We offer hospice care, palliative home health, physician services, assistance for independent living and day care for seniors, services for those infected or affected by HIV and advance care planning.