(Infantile Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Family history of pyloric stenosis
- Bottle feeding
- More common in male babies (particularly first-born males)
- More common in Caucasian than in Latino, Asian, or African-American babies
- Forceful vomiting of formula or milk
- Acting hungry most of the time
- Weight loss
- Signs of dehydration , such as less urination, dry mouth, and crying without tears
- Fewer bowel movements
- Blood-tinged vomit (This happens when repeated vomiting irritates the stomach, causing mild stomach bleeding.)
- Abdominal ultrasound —This procedure uses sound waves to make detailed computer pictures of the inside of the abdomen.
- Barium upper gastrointestinal x-ray series —A medicine (barium) is swallowed to outline the esophagus and stomach. X-ray pictures of the abdomen can then tell if food is moving normally through the stomach.
American Association of Pediatrics http://www.aap.org/
The American Pediatric Surgical Association http://www.eapsa.org/
Caring for Kids The Canadian Paediatric Society http://www.caringforkids.cps.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Hernanz-Schulman M. Infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. Isr Med Assoc J . 2004;6:160-161.
Kim SS, Lau ST, Lee SL, et al. Pyloromyotomy: a comparison of laparoscopic, circumumbilical, and right upper quadrant operative techniques. J Am Coll Surg . 2005;201:66-70.
Pisacane A, de Luca U, Criscuolo L, et al. Breastfeeding and hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: population-based case-control study. BMJ . 1996;312:745-746.
White JS, Clements WD, Heggarty P, et al. Treatment of infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis in a district general hospital: a review of 160 cases. J Pediatr Surg . 2003;38:1333-1336.
11/4/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. Available at: http://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us : McAteer JP, Ledbetter DJ, et al. Role of bottle feeding in the etiology of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis. JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Oct 21.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 11/04/2013 -