- Age: 20 to 40
- Sex: female
- Ethnic descent: African-American, Northern European, Scandinavian, and Irish
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Pain or irritation of eyes
- Fatigue, especially with exertion
- Muscle weakness
- Night sweats
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Difficulty hearing
- Blurred vision or blindness
- Poor coordination
- Trouble walking
- Irregular heart rate
- Pain, swelling, and stiffness in the joints
- Facial paralysis known as Bell's Palsy
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Prednisone to decrease inflammation
- Methotrexate or azathioprine may be used for patients who do not respond to steroids
- Hydroxychloroquine to treat skin problems
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agents to treat musculoskeletal symptoms
- Pulmonary rehabilitation programs to improve lung function
- Topical steroids to treat rashes
- Eye drops to treat mild eye problems
- If you smoke, quit .
- Avoid exposure to dust and chemicals.
- Notify your doctor at right away if any symptoms develop or worsen.
- Don't smoke. If you smoke, quit.
- Avoid exposure to chemicals and toxins.
- To prevent infection, wash your hands before eating or preparing food and after using the bathroom.
American Lung Association http://www.lungusa.org
Arthritis Foundation http://www.arthritis.org
The Arthritis Society http://www.arthritis.ca
The Canadian Lung Association http://www.lung.ca
Sarcoidosis. American Lung Association website. Available at: http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/sarcoidosis/. Accessed August 15, 2013.
Sarcoidosis in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 25, 2013. Accessed August 15, 2013.
Sarcoidosis in children. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated January 28, 2011. Accessed August 15, 2013.
What is sarcoidosis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sarc/. Updated June 14, 2013. Accessed August 15, 2013.
- Reviewer: Igor Puzanov, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -