(UC; Colitis, Ulcerative)
- Inflammation in the lining of the colon and rectum
- Ulcers in the lining of the colon and rectum
- Bleeding in the lining of the colon and rectum
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Abdominal cramps and pain
- Rectal bleeding
- Weight loss
- Fatigue, weakness
- Skin rashes
- Eye inflammation, such as uveitis
- Fistula—abnormal passageway between 2 bodily structures
- Excess bleeding
- Toxic megacolon—a potentially life-threatening condition when the colon severely expands, which may result in reduced blood flow
- Dairy (due to lactose intolerance)
- Red and processed meats
- Refined sugar
- Saturated fat
- Steroid anti-inflammatory medications
- Immune modifiers
- Biological agents
- An emergency, such as a perforation, excessive bleeding, or life-threatening infection
- Long-term disease that does not respond to medications or other treatment
- Colon cancer—includes confirmed diagnosis or suspicious tissue on examination
- Lack of growth because of nutritional deficiencies (in children)
American Gastroenterological Society http://www.gastro.org
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America http://www.ccfa.org
The Canadian Association of Gastroenterology http://www.cag-acg.org
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada http://www.ccfc.ca
D'Haens GR, Sartor RB, et al. Future directions in inflammatory bowel disease management. 2014;8(8):726-734.
Richman S, Schub T. Ulcerative colitis. EBSCO Nursing Reference Center website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/nursing/products/nursing-reference-center. Updated August 2012. Accessed September 5, 2012.
Ulcerative colitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 12, 2014. Accessed July 25, 2014.
Wedlake L, Slack N, et al. Fiber in the treatment and maintenance of inflammatory bowel disease: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2014;20(3):576-586.
What is ulcerative colitis? Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America website. Available at: www.ccfa.org/what-are-crohns-and-colitis/what-is-ulcerative-colitis. Accessed September 5, 2012.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/72/2014 -