(Hashimoto's Thyroiditis; Underactive Thyroid)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Idiopathic thyroid atrophy—destruction of thyroid tissue for unknown reasons
- Iodine deficiency—when a thyroid gland needs iodine to produce thyroid hormone (rare in the United States)
- Subacute thyroiditis—following a viral upper respiratory tract infection
- Medical treatments— radiation to the head and neck or surgical removal of the thyroid gland (called subtotal thyroidectomy )
- Medicines (such as lithium , iodine, amiodarone , interleukins)
- Certain diseases (such as cancer or infection)
- Pituitary adenoma —benign tumor of the pituitary gland
- Coarse, brittle hair; hair loss
- Facial puffiness
- Dry skin
- Swollen hands or feet
- Cold intolerance
- Weight gain
- Achy feeling all over
- Depression and irritability
- Memory loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Blurred vision
- Menstrual abnormalities or infertility
- Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Free T4 and total T3
- Antibodies that attack the thyroid gland
The American Thyroid Association http://www.thyroid.org
Women's Health.gov http://www.hrsa.gov/about/organization/bureaus/owh/index.html
Canadian Institute for Health http://www.cihi.ca
Thyroid Foundation of Canada http://www.thyroid.ca
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. AACE medical guidelines for clinical practice for the evaluation and treatment of hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Endocrine Practice . 2002;8:457-469.
Escobar-Morreale HF, Botella-Carretero JI, Escobar del Rey F, et al. Treatment of hypothyroidism with combinations of levothyroxine plus liothyronine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab . 2005;90:4946-4954.
Hypothyroidism. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed . Updated November 19, 2012. Accessed November 20, 2012.
Roberts CG, Ladenson PW. Hypothyroidism. Lancet . 2004;363:793-803.
Surks MI, Ortiz E, Daniels GH, et al. Subclinical thyroid disease: scientific review and guidelines for diagnosis and management JAMA . 2004;291:228-238.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 03/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/31/2013 -