Adult Macular Degeneration
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Dry AMD—This occurs when an area of the retina becomes diseased. This leads to a slow breakdown of cells in the macula. The central vision is gradually lost. Dry AMD accounts for the majority of cases.
- Wet AMD—As dry AMD worsens, new blood vessels may begin to grow. These new blood vessels often leak blood and fluid under the macula. This can lead to permanent damage of the macular region. Wet AMD is uncommon. But, it accounts for the majority of blindness from this disease.
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty seeing details in front of you, such as faces or words in a book
- Blurred vision that goes away in brighter light
- A small, but growing blind spot in the middle of your field of vision
- Straight lines (such as door frames) appear crooked or distorted
- Have regular eye exams. The exams should include dilation to closely look at the retina.
- If you smoke, talk with your doctor about how you can quit .
- Eat a healthy diet that is rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Consider omega-3 fatty acid supplements.
American Macular Degeneration Foundation http://www.macular.org
Macular Degeneration Foundation http://www.eyesight.org
AMD Alliance International http://www.amdalliance.org
The National Coalition for Vision Health http://www.visionhealth.ca
Age-related macular degeneration. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated May 23, 2013. Accessed July 15, 2013.
Adult macular degeneration. Macular Degeneration Foundation website. Available at: http://www.eyesight.org/Macular%5FDegeneration/Adult%5FMD/adult%5Fmd.html . Accessed July 16, 2013.
Age-related macular degeneration. National Eye Institute website. Available at: http://www.nei.nih.gov/health/maculardegen/index.asp . Accessed July 16, 2013.
Liew G, Mitchell P, et al. Ranibizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. N Engl J Med . 2006;355:1419-1431.
11/1/2007 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Wormald R, Evans J, et al. Photodynamic therapy for neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews . 2007;(4).
3/6/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Sui GY, Liu GC, Liu GY, et al. Is sunlight exposure a risk factor for age-related macular degeneration: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Br J Ophthalmol . 2012 Nov 10. [Epub ahead of print].
3/11/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Christen WG, Glynn RJ, Sesso HD, et al. Vitamins E and C and medical record-confirmed age-related macular degeneration in a randomized trial of male physicians. Ophthalmology . 2012 Aug;119(8):1642-9.
- Reviewer: Christopher Cheyer, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -