Pyloroplasty -- Adult
(Pyloric Stenosis Repair; Pyloromyotomy)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Damage to intestines
- Hernia formation at the incision site
- Chronic diarrhea
- Bleeding disorder
- Advanced age
- Prior surgeries in the abdomen
- Obesity, malnutrition, or dehydration
- Cardiac or respiratory disease
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
- Your doctor may order a laxative. This will help you clean out your intestines.
- If you have diabetes, discuss your medicines with your doctor.
Talk to your doctor about your medicines. You may be asked to stop taking some medicines up to one week before the procedure, like:
- Aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners, such as warfarin
Description of Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding or any discharge from the incision site
- Nausea and/or vomiting that you cannot control with the medicines you were given after surgery, or which persist for more than two days after discharge from the hospital
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicines you were given
- Cough, shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Severe abdominal pain or vomiting blood
- Dark-colored, tarry stools or blood in the stool
American Gastroenterological Association http://www.gastro.org
Family Doctor.org http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home.html
Canadian Medical Association Journal http://www.cmaj.ca
Feldman M. Sleisenger and Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2002.
Khatri VP, Asensio JA. Operative Surgery Manual. 1st ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 2003.
Townsend CM. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery. 17th ed. St. Louis, MO: WB Saunders; 2004.
Yamada T. Textbook of Gastroenterology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins; 2003. Dimitrios M et al. Laparoscopic Pyloroplasty in Idiopathic Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis in an Adult. JSLS. 2000 Apr-Jun; 4(2): 173–175.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us: Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Daus Mahnke, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -