Health Information

Health Tip: Keep Battery-Powered Devices Away From Kids

  • Home
  • Health Information

The more you know about your health, the better prepared you are to make informed healthcare decisions. Our health library gives you the information you need to take charge of your health.

Health Tip: Keep Battery-Powered Devices Away From Kids

Including remotes and calculators

(HealthDay News) -- So-called "button" batteries power many of the devices that keep little ones interested, so it's important to take steps to protect kids from ingesting these batteries.

The Children's National Medical Center offers this advice for parents:

  • Restrict access to any devices that use "button" and larger batteries, including remote controls, flameless candles, musical cards and pocket calculators.
  • If you think your child may have swallowed a battery, seek immediate help from a medical professional. Do not induce vomiting or give your child any food or drink unless so advised by a medical professional.
  • Recognize symptoms of ingesting a battery, which may include coughing, drooling or discomfort.