Behavioral Health Services at Indian Rocks offers the specialty services of Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) on an inpatient and outpatient level of care. ECT is an extremely safe and effective medical treatment for patients who are medication resistant, suicidal, depressed, bipolar, psychotic, catatonic, or have other similar psychotic disorders.
ECT has been proven to be an effective and safe treatment:
- For people experiencing extreme psychotic symptoms.
- For people experiencing acute mania or severe depression.
- Where previous responses to ECT have been effective.
- Where other treatment strategies have been ineffective.
- Where rapid treatment response is required.
Level of Care
To achieve optimum outcomes for the individual, ECT involves a series of treatments. A typical course of treatment would be given three times per week, with a total number of treatments averaging between six and twelve. The number of treatments will vary according to the individual.
To ensure a seamless referral process for your patient, a variety of procedures have been established including:
- Initial telephone assessment
- Managed care authorization
- Consultation with psychiatrist and anesthesiologist
- A thorough review of the patient's medical history
- Laboratory screening
- An electrocardiogram
- Any necessary communication with the referring professional for optimal continuum of care
For more information or to make a referral please call the Referral Line at (727) 587-7667 .